To be held at the Chalfont St Giles Country Show on Saturday 7th September 2013
- All exhibits must be submitted and staged between 08:30 and 09:45 on the day of the show. Judging will commence at 10.00 prompt.
- On arrival, exhibitors must register their entries with the steward and affix to each entry the labels supplied by the steward, as follows:
- Jars (honey) – about half an inch (12mm) from the bottom
- Frames – top of frame with duplicate on showcase, top right hand corner
- Cut comb – on the lid with duplicate on one side of the container
- Cake – one on plate
- Candles – one on stand
- Beeswax – one on wax with duplicate on display plate/dish
- Extracted honey must be exibited in plain, clear, 454g (1lb) squat jars (glass or plastic) with standard gold lacquered metal, or gold plastic, screw tops or twist-offs, and matching, except where otherwise stated. Honey colour will be assessed by means of BS filters (available for use on day of Show). Frames must be submitted in showcase. Cut comb in standard 8oz rectangular containers.
- Exhibits may not be removed until permitted by the steward.
- Class 6. 3 identical jars of any size, labelled as for sale.
- Class 7 and 18: single jar. This class is judged on flavour only. Sleeve to cover the jars will be supplied by the show steward.
- All entries to classes 1-12, 16-19 shall be the produce of the entrant’s own hives.
- National Honey Show Rules apply.
All entries in this division should be referred to the Honey Show Secretary Nick Grey – 07768 534160
Honey Lemon Curd (1 lb to be displayed)
- Grated rind and juice of 3 lemons
- 12 oz. Clear Honey
- 4 eggs size 3. Lightly beaten
- 4 oz. Unsalted butter
- 2 oz. Granulated sugar
Put the lemon rind and juice, honey, sugar and butter in the top of a double saucepan or a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water. Stir until the sugar and butter have melted. Beat the eggs into the mixture and continue cooking until it begins to thicken and coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a warmed jar. When cold, cover with a waxed disc and cellophane top or lid.
Honey Cake Recipe (Class 15)
- 225g (9oz) SR flour
- 140g (5oz) honey
- 170g 6oz) butter
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Grated rind of a lemon
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Cream butter, sugar and honey. Mix in lemon rind, beat eggs lightly and gradually add to the mixture. Stir in lemon juice. Fold in sieved flour, transfer to a greased and base lined 900g (2lb) loaf tin. Bake for 1hr-1hr 10mins at 160C/325F/gas mark 3